Classical Extras 2.0

Wow!
That’s impressive, and already looking good at the very first try.
I’m surely going to try this out more in-depth the coming weekend.

Fun-fact, Picard suggests I should update the plugin from 2.0.10 to 2.0.7:

Just mentioning this (and pinging @outsidecontext ) in case it affects other and stable released plugins too.

1 Like

I guess that’s because 2.0.7 is the official release. If there are no more immediate changes then I’ll PR 2.0.10 and we’ll be straight again - but this will definitely be at least a week off because I am away from tomorrow.

1 Like

Maybe. I do have ‘check for: stable, beta and dev releases’ checked though.
So perhaps Picard is only checking the first digit after a dot?

Or perhaps there should have been some ‘beta’ or ‘dev’ label in your latest lightning-fast impromptu release?
(obviously you are totally excused if that is the case :wink:

If that’s the check for updates section that I wrote, it only applies to Picard and not plugins. I believe that the plugin checks are handled separately.

That’s quite possible.

It’s a bug, fix is up for review. See PICARD-1756. Thanks for spotting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with ‘work types’ a bit.

I thought it would be good to start by getting a list of work types that are generally regarded as being qualified work types in classical music.
That proved to be a bit harder than I imagined, so I tried to assemble a comprehensive list myself by scraping the web at different sources.
This is the result (for now):

Air
Allemande
Agnus Dei
Aria
Bagatelle
Ballad
Ballata
Barcarole
Ballet
Berceuse
Bolero
Bourrée
Burlesque
Cadenza
Canon
Cantata
Canzona
Canzonetta
Capriccio
Carol
Chaconne
Chamber music
Chanson
Chant
Chorale
Chorale prelude
Chorus
Concertino
Concert piece
Concerto
Concerto for Orchestra
Concerto grosso
Courante
Credo
Dance
Divertimento
Double concerto
Duet
Elegy
Entr'acte
Entrée
Etude
Fanfare
Fantasia
Fugue
Galliard
Gavotte
Gigue
Humoresque
Hymn
Impromptu
Interlude
Intermezzo
Introduction
Kyrie
Lament
Lauda
Lied
Litany
Madrigal
March
Mazurka
Minuet
Missa brevis
Missa solemnis
Motet
Nocturne
Opera
Oratorio
Overture
Partita
Passacaglia
Passepied
Pavane
Piano ballade
Polka
Polonaise
Prelude
Psalm
Quadrille
Requiem
Requiem Mass
Rhapsody 
Ricercar
Rigaudon
Rondo
Saltarello
Saraband
Scherzo
Serenade
Siciliana
Sinfonia concertante
Sinfonietta
Solo concerto
Solo suite
Sonata
Sonatina
Song cycle
String quartet
Suite
Symphonia
Symphonic poem
Symphony
Tiento
Toccata
Triple concerto
Waltz

Then I tried out Classic Extra’s work type features to see if that would result in tags that matched what I would expect to be appropriate for the recording/work, and it being a work type from my fabulous list.

Well, the answer is: no, not really.
This is not criticism targeted at the plugin. The plugin is doing fantastic, making smart efforts, and will have to make do with what is available from MusicBrainz’ database.
(I am guessing ‘work type’ is not a current attribute in MusicBrainz’ database?)

At the moment I am not sure how I will proceed with this, but there is one thought that came up and I thought to share and have it’s tires kicked:

Many of the ‘work type’ keywords I would expect to show up, but don’t, happen to be present in the titles of the recordings.
Would it be an idea and a possibility to have the plugin (also) looking at the titles of works/parts/movements to try and resolve an appropriate work type?

edit:
Hate to, but probably should already anticipate on further complications;
There probably should be levels for work types.
The top level work type could be ‘Opera’, but for a lower level part of it, it could be ‘Aria’.

Type is an attribute of Work in the MB database. It can be a bit sparsely populated though.

It would be perfectly possible to do this. You would need to put your list into the classical music genres or sub-genres box in the genres tab. I’ll look into it next week. As regards the different levels, since all the attributes would be attached to a track, you would get them all listed as genre or sub-genre. So maybe opera and aria.
BTW there is already a function that infers genre from artist type, if you tick the box at the top of the genres tab. This is the one that populates _cea_work_type :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, setting-up a work type structure is going to be tough …
Some of the types that you have listed may be considered as “movement type” rather than work type.

Yes, that’s true. For that list I tried to cover every type of composition.
Be it a top level work, such as Opera or Requiem, or be it a self-contained composition, or a type that can be both.

My objective with that list is that it should contain all types of compositions that you would need to label either a high-level or a low-level work/composition with.
And (very important) not have it containing anything that is only a genre.
Especially that seems to be a big problem when labeling classical compositions.
Mixing up genres and work/composition types is pretty much everywhere I looked.

For this forum post I chose to post it as a flat list, but for constructing it I did take the different levels of classical compositions into account. But I didn’t want to complicate things too much at this first attempt to see if this ‘resonated’, and if something could be done with this.

This seems a pretty subjective area to me. For example, you list “Chamber Music” as a work type whereas I would call it a genre. One suggestion would be to put all your genres into the permissible genres box and all your work types into the sub-genres box. As for different levels, that is a 2nd order consideration - perfectly doable, but needs some thought to make it useful and not just a clumsy addition.

No argument there.

Also understand that this is my list v0.1 alpha.
If anybody has a link to a better list, please let me know?

I don’t want to hack your thread here, so maybe I should create a new topic for getting feedback and possibly improving on this list?

About Chamber Music:
Chamber music is a form of classical music that is composed for a small group of instruments—traditionally a group that could fit in a palace chamber or a large room.

So it is composed with a specific objective, and a rather specific restriction on musicians and environment.
That goes beyond ‘genre’. (I think)

Also, as I said, my objective for this list is that if you have a work or a recording and you want to tag it with a label, the label should be in this list.
And when doing the research, I got the notion that there are quite a few ‘chamber music’ works/compositions that you could not label with anything other than ‘Chamber Music’.
(and I want to be able to label everything :wink:

Thinking out loud:

I think I will be going to setup two different ‘type’ tags:
One for the top-level work, and one for for lower-level and/or independent recordings/tracks.

Maybe call them something like ‘Work type’ and ‘Composition form’.

The first could be: Opera, Symphony, Requiem mass, etc.
The second: Nocturne, Pavane, Etude, etc.

To my knowledge, there is no commonly agreed taxonomy of work types.
Setting up any such form of classification would be a huge undertaking, and subject to changes …

I would take a different approach, less structured, but which I find more practical.

I would use tagging, to flag works with attributes useful to select them.

For example, you could have “sonata”, “piano” tags for a piano sonata, “sonata”, “violin” for violin sonata, etc …

1 Like

I have local MB working. Does the throttling also applies to the local instances ? If yes, is there a way to bypass this ? I’m not beyond editing the code if you point me into right direction :slight_smile:

Hi @nadl40. In theory, the throttling should not apply. I would be very interested to hear how it performs.
Edit. The throttling is in Picard not the plugin.

To the best of your knowledge, is the Picard throttling auto disabled when using local server ?

I really can’t answer as I am away from my PC and don’t know off the top of my head. Perhaps @outsidecontext can say?

Hi @MetaTunes. I’v done a quick test. 899 flac tracks, 30 or so albums.
MB run for 14 minutes, on my local for 12 minutes, so not a big difference.

Have you seen/tried this?:

1 Like
1 Like