Capitalization of extra title information

Please lowercase ETI…

1 Like
  • Lowercase ETI (like current MB guidelines)
  • Title Case ETI

0 voters

1 Like

I don’t have any strong feelings about remix ETI, but lowercase ETI does look a bit wrong to me on deluxe edition release titles, for example:

that said, is it ETI? I mean it is literally version information, but it feels a bit more title-y to me for some reason… either way, I think adding an example or two to the guidelines might be in order, as right now there’s only recordings

6 Likes

I just randomly went through ~20 albums on Wikipedia with “Remix” etc. in the track titles. All of them capitalized it, as I would expect it.

They shouldn’t be: Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Music - Wikipedia

For titles of works and releases, descriptive phrases in parentheses or after dashes, such as “remix”, “acoustic version” and “remastered”, should not be considered part of song titles and should not be capitalized.

6 Likes

my view: edition information should be in the disambiguation comment. Such things don’t alter the title of an album.

eg Artist releases an album called “Random Example Name for an Album”. It is called “Random Example Name for an Album” in all editions, not “Random Example Name for an Album: Deluxe Edition” or “Random Example Name for an Album: Not the Deluxe Edition”.

Further, but potentially controversial: when digital stores have no way to indicate deluxe editons other than putting it in the title, we should ignore that.

(Probably more controversial: deluxe edtion is so over-used, it is pointless as a disambiguation and should be in the annotation)

That’s also questionable - I’ve seen a bunch of Latin rap stuff that gets “re-released” with bonus tracks years later and they call it a deluxe edition, and that seems to certainly be intended as part of the new re-release’s title. I agree it’s overused, but as usual my view is “does it have different cover art, probably mentioning the deluxe thing? then it’s title, if not disambiguation” :slight_smile: Personal view, not guideline, though.

2 Likes

I think you can infer they want you to know it’s a deluxe edition, different to the standard edition, and you might want to buy it. That it is “seeming to certainly be intending” to re-title the work to include that seems a large stretch.

But, if you look at the covers of the two examples UltimateRiff supplied - the words “[Whatever] Editon” are not in brackets, but they are on the MB titles.

So if they’re part of the title, they should be:

• Elf: Original Motion Picture Score: The Deluxe Edition
  • Business Up Front/Party in the Back: Diamond Edition

That would remove the question of whether to title ETI, no?

1 Like

If a release cover said “Track Title Techno Remix” we would still do “Track Title (techno remix)”. Isn’t this the same?

Not according to Guess Case!

But also, is that a common way we see mixes represented? Are they not usually already in brackets, or separated from the track title by some other method? Even on the two edition examples, the “edition” is on a separate line from the title (probably because it’s not part of the actual title I would say).

Perhaps a more salient comparison would be “Release Title Remixes”, and… are these the same?

“(techno remix)” seems even worse than “(Techno remix)”. What even should be capitalized, then?

Titled remixes: stuff like Track Title (Techno Rules the World remix)

4 Likes

Yeah, that can be confusing. I was confused about that as well and once started this thread.