I think maybe I didn't explain myself properly. I know how to add a new artist. My question is this: isn't the "Add a new artist" selection supposed to appear in the list I described, and if not, why not? The search is already there, in the window I'm working on, and it makes sense that "Add a new artist" would be there as well, but that text item simply does not show up. Not having that option available at this point in the workflow doesn't make sense.
I am also wondering if this was a problem related to the database/hosting/etc issue that happened yesterday, or if it's always been like this. Could you (or someone) check to see if this is happening to you as well?
1) Pick a recording of a song that doesn't have a work attached to it (and where the work doesn't exist yet). Click "Edit".
2) Add relationship: "Work/recording of".
3) Search for the work. Since it does not exist, at the bottom of the results, click "Add a new work".
4) In this window, add relationship: "Artist/writer"
5) Search for the writer (if it exists, just type nonsense, we only want to see the results when the artist doesn't exist).
6) At this point, you will not see the line "Add a new artist" at the bottom of the results.
I believe this is an error or oversight within the site because you will see the text if you don't use this particular workflow.