Cannot run Picard v2.5.6 on Win10 19042.685

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd2a6461a10>

when i double click it, it just crash without any message. i can run v 2.44, even v2.55 only v 2.56 crashed, any ideas?

Please first try to run Picard from command prompt. For this make sure you have install Picard via I stalled and are not using the portable version or the one from Windows Store.

Then open a command prompt and type:

"C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\picard.exe" -d

Make sure to include the quotation marks. Press enter. There should be some output on the command prompt just before Picard crashes. Paste that output or a screenshot of the command prompt here. If you have trouble getting the entire output ( the Windows command prompt can be a bit quirky to use) make sure to at least include the last part of the output, that’s the most interesting.

Afterwards you can also try if removing plugins and/or settings allows you to start Picard again. See http://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/troubleshooting/does_not_start.html

But please try getting the logs first, as this can allow us to identify the actual issue. Also make a note which plugins you had installed.

1 Like

hi, thanks for u response
i have found what the problem is… just localization. if i choose Japanese/English as UI language, it’s ok,
if i switch to Chinese, it crashed…

and the output of cmd is

D: 20:12:27,179 tagger.init:225: Starting Picard from ‘C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\picard\tagger.pyc’
D: 20:12:27,180 tagger.init:227: Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0 CPython 3.7.9
D: 20:12:27,181 tagger.init:228: Versions: Picard 2.5.6, Python 3.7.9, PyQt 5.15.1, Qt 5.15.1, Mutagen 1.45.1, Discid discid 1.2.0, libdiscid 0.6.2, astrcmp C, SSL OpenSSL 1.1.1b 26 Feb 2019
D: 20:12:27,181 tagger.init:229: Configuration file path: ‘C:/Users/WDAGUtilityAccount/AppData/Roaming/MusicBrainz/Picard.ini’
D: 20:12:27,182 tagger.init:231: User directory: ‘C:\Users\WDAGUtilityAccount\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard’
D: 20:12:27,216 i18n.setup_gettext:51: unsupported locale setting
D: 20:12:27,219 i18n.setup_gettext:83: Using locale ‘zh_CN.gbk’
D: 20:12:27,220 i18n.setup_gettext:85: Loading gettext translation, localedir=‘C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\locale’
D: 20:12:27,233 i18n.setup_gettext:87: Loading gettext translation (picard-countries), localedir=‘C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\locale’
D: 20:12:27,239 i18n.setup_gettext:89: Loading gettext translation (picard-attributes), localedir=‘C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\locale’
D: 20:12:27,260 i18n.setup_gettext:108: _ = <bound method GNUTranslations.gettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x00000227F9B9D4C8>>
D: 20:12:27,261 i18n.setup_gettext:109: N_ = <function at 0x00000227F85B29D8>
D: 20:12:27,262 i18n.setup_gettext:110: ngettext = <bound method GNUTranslations.ngettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x00000227F9B9D4C8>>
D: 20:12:27,262 i18n.setup_gettext:111: gettext_countries = <bound method GNUTranslations.gettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x00000227F9BFDBC8>>
D: 20:12:27,263 i18n.setup_gettext:112: gettext_attributes = <bound method GNUTranslations.gettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x00000227F9C18308>>
D: 20:12:27,264 i18n.setup_gettext:113: pgettext_attributes = <function setup_gettext..pgettext at 0x00000227F8F3D318>
D: 20:12:27,303 webservice_init_.network_accessible_changed:305: Network accessible requested: 1, actual: 1
D: 20:12:27,308 webservice_init
.set_cache:331: NetworkDiskCache dir: ‘C:/Users/WDAGUtilityAccount/AppData/Local/cache/network/’ current size: 47.0 kB max size: 100 MB
I: 20:12:27,309 pluginmanager.load_plugins_from_directory:207: Plugin directory ‘C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\plugins’ doesn’t exist
D: 20:12:27,310 pluginmanager.load_plugins_from_directory:221: Looking for plugins in directory ‘C:\Users\WDAGUtilityAccount\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins’, 0 names found
D: 20:12:27,321 ui\playertoolbar.init:92: Internal player: QtMultimedia available, initializing QMediaPlayer
D: 20:12:27,407 ui\playertoolbar.init:99: Internal player: available, QMediaPlayer set up
D: 20:12:28,288 tagger.main:979: Looking for Qt locale zh_CN in C:/Program Files/MusicBrainz Picard/PyQt5/Qt/translations
D: 20:12:28,289 tagger.main:983: Qt locale zh_CN not available
D: 20:12:28,300 browser\browser.start:78: Starting the browser integration (127.0.0.1:8001)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the details, that should help getting this fixed. I 'll take a look.

The issue indeed was with the localization, it was breaking some of the variable placeholder used in some texts. I have updated the translation file to fix this. The fix will be in the next release, see PICARD-2097. Until then I’m afraid you need to use the English version as a workaround.

3 Likes