Can i leave artist info here for others to enter correctly

if i enter every artist not listed in this db i will be spending all my time here, many without good info, i think i will only enter the ones with some detail, when i know a city based in and band members stuff, there r some bands i see listed all the time at local venues but they never detail them, would guess there r from dallas but

Some people say not to, but I definitely would always do it! I add a lot of niche bands as well. You are protecting your work. When someone is entering a compilation CD with 100 tracks they’re not going to click into every artist to check their location and see if they have to make a new artist instead - but they will see the disambiguation straight away. If your artists are very niche then it’s likely they should be making a new artist instead of picking yours! You don’t have to disambiguate though.

Some people say only to put country for area… I like to use a more specific area/state/town they are associated with. You just have to use your judgement and preference. If others don’t like it they can comment or change it.

Weird! This is how I would do it:
http://www.simonhartman.com/images/vinyl%20numbers.gif

Hmm, as long as there’s a relationship (e.g. an event) you can add them… but yeah it is tricky. I sometimes just make a new group and disambiguate with something like ‘Dallas group?’, with the question mark… and then keep an eye on it, as someone may know/add more later. But also okay to just not enter them.

Preach :wink:

But seriously thanks for adding these. Some people think listing smaller bands is a waste of time but that kind of local history is the most important I think!! The fact that you can’t find any links online for these guys means that what you’re putting into Musicbrainz may eventually be the only information that exists on these groups.

2 Likes

i just added several bands with members and noticed i maked them backwards memmbers , members of, rechecking but obviously still not natural to me

1 Like

As far as artist disambiguations, I personally would add one for a group named Road Hogs because there’s likely to be another band of that name sooner or later (in fact there are currently two MB artists named The Roadhogs as one word ). If the band name is something like Flimble and the Blimbleweezers, there’s unlikely to be another that you’d confuse it with and I wouldn’t bother with disambiguation.

road hogs if u think needed u could add Texas or Jim Suhler, but i have city date range and band members, i thot that was pretty defined, but i have no problem with anybody adding more details, i havent read the standards here, just trying to keep from doing things incorrectly

It often happens to me too.
There is a ticket to improve the behaviour of this relationship popup:

2 Likes

The Road Hogs entry has plenty of detail to identify it, if one clicks through to the artist page. The disambiguation is a quick way of identifying the right artist. So if I were adding a (hypothetical) 2020 release by a Canadian band called the Road Hogs, I might just assume the existing “Road Hogs” entry was the same band; but if that entry has a disambiguation that mentions “Texas based, 1980s”, then I would suspect I have a different band. (I often use disambiguations like this - “Region, decade” - when I don’t know or can’t easily categorize an artist’s genre.)

4 Likes

hi, i now have a 2nd backing band member for a person, i tried again still confused how, need help please

help on how to add guitarist Tim Wagner (not sure if the one listed here assume not) source Buddy magazine Apr 87 Vol.4 #10 talking about the past, was a backing band member for Karen Bella (all her shows were listed as her the person never as a band, https://musicbrainz.org/artist/8e845dfd-9720-41ae-b2c3-1b2c5802918e/edit

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/8e845dfd-9720-41ae-b2c3-1b2c5802918e is this correct or backwards supporting guitar for: Tim Wagner (Texas guitarist)

1 Like

Done in edit #72417070, you can do this with the button “Change direction”.

1 Like

thanks understand better

1 Like

if u love to search and decide which is correct band
https://musicbrainz.org/search?query=the+strangers&type=artist&method=indexed
sound Buddy magazine May 87 is talking about a dallas or local or texas band recording in dallas studios called The Strangers described as Power-Pop group, no member names, titles, un disclosed label, i have seen them listed in dallas for shows for at least 1 year prob earlier, but could not pick a positve band to use, thanks

how do i remove the “to present” from artist end date when i dont know it i tried ??? but it doesnt work but i think ive seen that for other artists, is it picking dissolved? but is any band every dissolved unless all the members die

I don’t worry about that bit of text if I don’t know what happened to the band! Never really thought about it before. But I don’t think you can ‘fix’ it unless you know that the band broke up/isn’t active anymore, or the end date.

how can i EASILY find a note i left on an edit, i was looking thru All My Edits but there r now too many to easily find it, specifically Ted Roddy as member of The LeRoi Brothers (from 1987 to present: drums (drum set)) , thanks

Search menu, Search edits: Edit note author is you and artist is Ted Roddy

2 Likes

please delete this https://musicbrainz.org/artist/2f0c840c-aa13-4e22-b64d-264cf8f0e866/edit

As there is no relationships or other details it will automatically be cleared up in a few days.

1 Like

thanks i dont like that i have to make a long msg, all i wanted to say was thanks

2 Likes

In this case, you can click the heart icon, at the bottom of posts. :wink:

4 Likes

is this person always an ass Edit by Senax
is deleting it seems almost everything im adding, the relationships by standards r wrong, i have tried asking him for help all he says is its wrong and deletes them, im not getting info saying he is deleting them either on some, several artists have out right been deleted, ive added some back, so i spend time added info it gets deleted, i am no longer going to add good info then if its just gonna get deleted, so again im back to i would rather just pass what i find to someone, wasting too much time here, i will now only add 1 event per new artist to get it added but no info that just gets thrown away