Can I create an 'alias' for some of the default tagging fields?

If you are trying to REPLACE all tags with a new set of tags, then you need something like $unset. So if you don’t want to see “Release Type” appear then $unset(Release Type)

If Release Type was already in the file, then you need to also TICK “Clear Existing Tags” as that will wipe everything and just set the tags you want to set, along with Picard default set.

And any of Picard’s defaults you don’t want, you just $unset… but $unset on its own does not delete the old data. You need to make sure “Clear Existing Tags” is ticked to give you a clean slate each time.

You also still have your confusion of CAPITALS and lowercase going on in your example…

Actually - try $delete - $delete(release type), $delete(label) etc instead… that is better what you want I think… both unset and wipes the old data. Okay… got there in the end. Need to type that in the same way it appears in the table in my second post. i.e. without any caps.

Sorry for the confusions. I am literally hacking my way through this with a basic knowledge while drinking beer :beer: at half past midnight. :rofl:. The manual is written by a scripting expert who is clearly well asleep at this hour.

1 Like

Yes, scripts are in order. But don’t put any of the tags you are trying to change into $keep. You are confusing things as keep keeps things as they are. So if they were blank, they stay blank.

(Why can’t I find $keep in the official manual? :confused:)

There’s a full $unset list here, just remove from that list the tags you do want to add/change:

“If you want to remove tags completely, instead of just not touching them, replace $unset with $delete

I can highly recommend keeping the MBID fields, they will make life so much easier in the long term, but up to you :blush: