CA: scanning variability/sun damage or new release?

On my monitor I have the existing MB front CA. and [CA from apparently same release] (https://d19cna3yr6weg2.cloudfront.net/alb/64c09d218004080a7f4034a2f49d7ac3.gif) from Jellynote.

In hand I have CD CA. Colours are very much like Jellynote. Sea surface is green. But colour far more “metallic” than either current MB or Jellynote. Other difference is that whole left edge (1.5cm) is blue blending into the green rather than green.
This blue edge could be sun-damage/fading. The fading appears confined to the yellow ink/dye. Toes on foot at lower left appear the same as on current MB CA.

My suspicion is that the current MB front CA is a overly grey scan. And that my blue edge is sun fading.

What to do around CA?
Add scan of in-hand CA with note on suspected fading?
Add note to existing stating suspicion of “overly grey”?

(I’m thinking that CA is not actually metadata. That CD CA is a physical object.
And that brings problems.)

I would try to colour-correct the image on MusicBrainz. You could try to scan the cover art you have and edit the image with the GIMP to give yellow a bit more saturation, just to see what that does to the image’s colour.

I have tried the GIMP’s auto-level on the image from the Cover Art Archive, and that gives me a very green sea, but with some tweaking it will be possible to make the colours more in line with the other images of this release floating around the internet.

1 Like

[quote=“mmirG, post:1, topic:225040”]Add scan of in-hand CA with note on suspected fading?
Add note to existing stating suspicion of “overly grey”?[/quote]I would do both and set your own scan on the first position.

2 Likes