Bonus Disc

One release for both, with both catalog numbers on it, seems like the simplest way to do this for me to be honest.

2 Likes

・初回限定盤 CD+DVD
・通常盤 CD
・初回限定盤 予約特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus DVD
・通常盤 予約特典つき CD+Bonus DVD
・初回限定盤 アニメイト盤 CD+DVD+Bonus CD
・通常盤 アニメイト盤 CD+Bonus CD
・初回限定盤 アニメイト盤 予約特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・通常盤 アニメイト盤 予約特典つき CD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・初回限定盤 タワーレコード特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD
・通常盤 タワーレコード特典つき CD+Bonus CD
・初回限定盤 タワーレコード特典つき 予約特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・通常盤 タワーレコード特典つき 予約特典つき CD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・初回限定盤 TSUTAYA特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD
・通常盤 TSUTAYA特典つき CD+Bonus CD
・初回限定盤 TSUTAYA特典つき 予約特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・通常盤 TSUTAYA特典つき 予約特典つき CD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・初回限定盤 VV特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD
・通常盤 VV特典つき CD+Bonus CD
・初回限定盤 VV特典つき 予約特典つき CD+DVD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
・通常盤 VV特典つき 予約特典つき CD+Bonus CD+Bonus DVD
Creating this amount of releases would be too redundant. And if we separate them in each release, doesn’t that mean that we should create other versions of the release that come with non-CD bonus (posters, etc.)?

2 Likes

It’s actually possible to purchase the Tower Records, TSUTAYA, and Village Vanguards bonus CDs (without the main release) on second hand shops because they are packaged separately. Examples are:

1 Like

Of course, that’s no reasons to create a standalone release.

I can also sell my socks one by one in second hand, instead of pairs.

9 Likes

Nominated for Golden Quote of the Month… :rofl:

Does that mean we need to start up SockBrainz?

6 Likes

I don’t quite understand the list you posted, but I suspect having that many inter-linked release groups in the artist page would be even messier?

Maybe the fundamental difference in opinion is that I don’t see a long list of releases in a group as an issue for MB at all.

For what it’s worth, I would rather you added them separately rather than didn’t add them at all, as long as you don’t mind another community member later possible ‘improving’ (e.g. making it fit our style lead’s guidance more) it.

Yes

2 Likes

It’s a wrong analogy because two pairs of socks serve a purpose, no, what are you talking about?:crazy_face:

I posted in the sense that doing as you said would end up creating these quantities of releases within the same release group. Posting the bonus discs in the “promotion” stats would clear things up like @arifer said.

Second hand stores may also sell CDs missing a booklet, multi-disc sets missing a disc, etc. The point is that MB releases are defined by how they are released/published by the artist or label, not how they may be found “in the wild”. Just like @jesus2099’s socks were originally sold in pairs, even if he’s since sold all his left socks on ebay.

4 Likes

I think we understood that and we said is totally fine. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I consider that a problem. So isn’t the important thing there not your opinions, but clear guidelines that everyone can agree on?

Something that is “sold together” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a single MusicBrainz release. You’d typically expect a MusicBrainz release to have been originally packaged together, not just “sold together”. If you take a product off the shelf, take it to the register, and the clerk gives you a separate gift, that’s clearly two separate MusicBrainz releases to me.

That’s how we used to deal with Japanese releases from labels infamous for doing this, like EXIT TUNES.

5 Likes

Is there an official way to get only the second product (the said gift)?

If not, it means that it is only available as a bundle, and I don’t see why it should not be the same release.

2 Likes

Where is the source for this?

I’d think of the 2nd as a separate promo release. When I worked in retail, we had these types of promotions all the time. It’s not really a bundle of the original because you might only get 50 of the 2nd discs but have a 100s of the original in a shipment.

1 Like

Yes but here it’s not just random promo CD that you get for the purchase of any CD.
I already had some, too.
2 release groups.

Here it’s like if you buy this depreciation album in this shop, it comes with this specific bonus CD.
I had some too. No in fact I checked, of course they do exist but I don’t remember being in this case.
1 release.

But I think only got some useless shop exclusive goodies editions: same kind but as there is no musical content, it’s not necessary IMO to create releases.
There are also some useless goodies editions (not shop specific) with specific catalogue numbers, these are also specific distinct releases, then.

It’s why it’s sometimes called limited first press edition, maybe no? :wink:

But enough maybe…
@yakumo0209 just edit the way it seems clever to you until some other can who has this in their collection will be more legit, relevant and related.

1 Like

No, retailer bonuses are not first press editions. The retailer CDJapan distinguishes the two, and you can find the same distinction in other databases like VGMdb.

A first press edition means that it’s a single packaged product. Example: CDJapan : Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat Vol.1 Animation Blu-ray - the label literally manufactures something entirely different (and completely inferior) if you order it today, despite the barcodes on the (different) packaging being the same.

An external bonus is external to the original product, and is a separate item. Example: CDJapan : Tasty City Yui Nishio CD Album

Thanks for your example:

External Bonus CD with songs performed by the guitar and singing only (Spice Girl / Cheat Day / Machi Chuka / suitcase / tasty tasks) No longer available

I don’t think you could/can buy this one separately (even if it is not attached), it’s like my head music + leaving I got from La Fnac.

Whether you can buy something from the past that’s out of print is besides the point. See Bonus Disc - #38 by yindesu

Read my posts again: not possible (at the time of release) to buy separately = same release.
And we are talking about specific bonus offered with specific album.

But @yakumo0209, the disagreement in this topic should not prevent you from editing your releases any further, it’s peanuts. :wink:
Go ahead and edit.

2 Likes