Announcement: New release statuses "Cancelled" and "Withdrawn"

For anyone joining here later, note that there is a more focused topic discussing what is and isn’t “Withdrawn” at What is "Withdrawn": a discussion thread + examples :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Surely these terms would make more sense as secondary Release Statuses (schema addition)?

Edit: Upon further reflection, perhaps these terms would be even better suited as optional attributes of Release Events themselves? I suspect that this would better account for inevitable corner-cases.

2 Likes

I don’t think a secondary release type would work, since in most cases the release is replaced by a different release, whether with new album art, different artist credits, or a slightly different tracklist.

however, withdrawing a release in a particular country is quite possible. I don’t know of any particular cases offhand tho… even so, that could be added as a separate withdrawn release in whatever countries.

2 Likes

I don’t think a secondary release type would work, since in most cases the release is replaced by a different release,

I was referring to a hypothetical “Release” → “Secondary Status” (not “Release Group” → “Secondary Type”).

however, withdrawing a release in a particular country is quite possible. I don’t know of any particular cases offhand tho… even so, that could be added as a separate withdrawn release in whatever countries.

Could be, but wouldn’t that defeat the conceptual purpose of Releases (a representation of a particular media) and Release Events (the release of a media in X territory) in the first place?

1 Like

could, it really depends on how you determine the line between different releases. for what it’s worth, I probably wouldn’t split releases like this, I was just putting it out there as an option~

1 Like

do physical releases actually have to be made to be added?
because i’m questioning the validity of a vinyl that was scheduled, but not funded enough
vs a vinyl that actually exists, but was not released.

4 Likes

yes, I believe those would both be cancelled releases.

4 Likes