Adding new unclustered files Picard seems to infer track number

When I add a folder of miscellaneous unclustered single files, Picard (v 2.7.3 on Win 10) seems to infer a track number for a couple of files. I’ve confirmed with mp3tag and a couple other methods, that no track number is in the tags of these files.

The files are:
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.mp3
4 Non Blondes - What’s Up.mp3

These files’ tags only contain artist name and title. With the 3 Doors Down track, Picard infers track number 3 and 4 Non Blondes gets track number 4. I’m assuming that it’s inferring these from the file name or artist name? Deleting the track number in Picard removes the track number, but after closing and reimporting these tracks the track number returns. Assigning a different track number works, but once removed Picard reverts to these inferred track numbers.

This is not a bug report or anything, I would just like to know if there is a script somewhere that is controlling this inference that could be edited?

Yes, Picard tries to guess tracknumber or title if those tags are missing. You can disable this behavior in Options > Metadata if you want.

2 Likes

Thanks! I guess I have more digging around in the options to do.