Add Album VERSION Tag Using Picard

Sorry if it’s been asked before, but I have searched high and low and I can’t find a solution.

I want to add a tag field titled VERSION so that I can distinguish between the variety of releases of an album. Roon does an excellent job of grouping alternative versions of albums together using the VERSION tag. The field can be populated with a brief description of the release, i.e., “Remastered”, “Deluxe Edition”, “50th Anniversary Edition”, etc.

I can’t figure out how to add this information with Picard. Is it possible?

Before we get to how Picard should be configured, we need to review the data available on MusicBrainz. The closest thing to what you are seeking is the Release disambiguation field, but the quality of its usage is a bit hit and miss.

The Release Disambiguation is available in %_releasecomment%, so to put in a Version tag you would need the following script: $set(Version,%_releasecomment%).

3 Likes

On MusicBrainz there is a field “disambiguation” that can be filled to distinguish between otherwise identically named entities.

The disambiguation for releases is available in Picard as %_releasecomment%. You could write this into your version tag with this script:

$set(version,%_releasecomment%)
3 Likes

Thank you. I will give it a shot!

Ha, nearly identical answer twice :slight_smile:

I added the script, tested it on an album and nothing happened. I don’t see “Version” as a tag field in Picard. I tried the script on Billy Joel’s “Piano Man (Legacy Edition)” and a Metallica super deluxe edition. I don’t see “Version”, “Release Comments” or anything similar in the Tag column. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

FWIW I’m using version 2.1.3 due to OS limitations (macOS High Sierra 10.13.6) on a 2012 Mac mini

It should look like this.

Can confirm the script works on my machine. Using Arch Linux, packages upgraded earlier today, Picard 2.6.3

I finally got it to work!!! I updated to the latest version of Picard that is compatible with my OS, removed and re-entered the script. Then I ran it and voila! There’s finally a “Version” tag field that I can work with.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

3 Likes