Add a discriminating font color for tags that are left untouched because MB has no content to offer

When @zas mentioned “accessibility” he is referring to people who are colour blind. Not everyone can see colour so you need to make sure there are options for those with differing abilities.

1 Like

I understand that, but there are many kinds and degrees of colour blindness.
You can’t create one colouring scheme that is great for all sufferers from a variation of colour blindness.

Surely it is laudable to try and limit the chances of issues here, but reducing the use of sensible colours that are not a problem at all for the vast majority of users, and so decreasing the user experience for the vast majority is not the best way to go.

The best and probably only way that would really benefit such users is to make the colours fully adjustable.
The option to be able to change colours will probably be a blessing for them.

But reducing Picard’s colour variations will probably benefit almost nobody.
(but of course the use of too many of them can also become a problem at a certain point)

b.t.w.
I noticed Zas mentioning themes.
I have no idea if they exist, but if they are available, e.g. high-contrast, different colouring, larger fonts, etc, that is a great for people with visual handicaps.
Are there indeed themes available somewhere?

You misunderstood. I’m not against using colours, but i’m against hardcoding them. That’s something that needs to be fixed in Picard, so instead of discussing which colour we should use for what at this point, I’d rather define roles and allow user to associate whichever colour he wants for each. We can define default colours though, of course.

According to http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/:Worldwide, there are approximately 300 million people with colour blindness”.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I read that you thought there were too many colours in Picard already, but you meant too many hard-coded colours.

coder vs. human :wink:

Not yet, mostly because of Picard messy code.
Qt has now full support for color themes, for widgets and text, through stylesheets and rich text (html-like), so it’s all about changing existing code to actually support those.

1 Like

Let’s hope one of the 300 million has some time and talent to help with that :wink:

This. Cool.

No need for me to reply line by line as I like the idea here and agree with your general scheme hiccup… just gotta make sure everyone can use it. :+1:

#Coders are Human Too!

(Well… some of them are…)

Forgive me if I misunderstand again.
Wouldn’t that mean that my initial suggestion about having differentiating colours for ‘preserved tags’ and for ‘tags that are offered by MB but not actually (re)written’ is exactly that?

It is. I just wanted to be sure everyone discussing about colours is aware about color-blindness and implications it has when it comes to UI design.

5 Likes

Ok. But it looks like we are now back at square 1 in this thread.
What would be the next step, if there is any?

Create a ticket for features you want, ideally with sketchs and detailed description of what is expected.

Picard devs may then pick those and start to provide patches.

I already started to work on adding color customization, I’ll fix current code that is using fixed colors, and add an option pane for the user to be able to change colors. I’ll open a pull request when it will be ready.

3 Likes

That’s great.

I’ll see if I can concoct a ticket that makes sense and might attract interested coders.

As a non-colourblind user who is selfishly mainly interested in applications looking good to his own eyes:
if this would mean that themes or skins could become an option for Picard that would be very nice.

If it is within my limited capabilities, I promise I will then release some themes for it that perhaps benefit others.