About different versions of the same work and merged recording titles

I think, that was your apology for your evidently unfounded votes No with automatically pasted note being out of all relation to my edit…

If you’re going to edit data in MusicBrainz, it is expected that you will at least do your best effort to follow established guidelines and best practices. If you want to edit without “any directives”, I would kindly ask that you edit elsewhere.

If you don’t agree with the status quo of guidelines and/or accepted best practices, you’re very welcome to suggest changes to these. If you need help/guidance with how/where to suggest/discuss such changes, feel free to send me an email.

Please mind your tone.

@paulakreuzer and @RocknRollArchivist both, please take a break for a day or two. There’s no need for this hostility. We all want the best data, even if we may not agree right now on exactly how this data should look. You two seem to have come to a “deadlock”, so the best course forward is likely to take a step back.

7 Likes

I have very similar situation and can’t find the answer to this.
There is a KUKL song that is known under names Seagull and Fuglar
At first I thought that these recordings should be merged, because they are exactly the same. But after merging nobody would find or recognize searching for example “KUKL Seagull” that Fuglar is the recording that they are looking for. Aliases are not a good solution, because user wouldn’t see them in search results. Title merging looks like maybe not ideal, but a solution. What do you think?

Mostly a presentation issue. Identical recordings with just their title translated should be merged IMHO.

Related tickets:

2 Likes

Until we have the new feature i would use disambiguation in such a case :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to proceed with my problem, so I’ll ask in this topic for clarity.

This release was digitally re-released with different track order and different titles, but they are the same recordings. Should I merge those recordings?

My first inclination (based on the understanding of the guidelines and scrolling through this topic) is to merge them, but I’d rather hear from the community if this approach is ok.

1 Like

If the content is the same, just with a different order / name, then yes, they should be merged.

3 Likes