Abbreviations in community posts

And SAR (stand alone recording) is NGS (next generation schema) term for NAT (non album track) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Suggestions by @CatQuest and @jesus2099 have been added.

4 Likes

:memo: FTR: for the record

With punctuation it does not see the acronyms: CAA? is NG while CAA is OK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Progressively I recall some other abbreviations I may usually use (with [WikiLink] for documented MB terms) in my edit notes.

• COC: Code of conduct
  • ETI: Extra title information
  • JAN ā‰ˆ EAN ā‰ˆ bar code
  • MBID: MusicBrainz identifier
  • OHP: Official homepage (of an artist, label, etc.)
  • TOC: (CD) table of content ā€” cf. DiscID?
1 Like

@Freso, I canā€™t say I really understand the plugin code but maybe in the below row, we should use more something like to catch full words, whatever the surrounding is, spacing or any kind of punctuation:

new RegExp("(\\b)+" + escapedWords + "(\\b)", "ig");

Instead of:

new RegExp("(\\s|^)+" + escapedWords + "(([:.;,]+(\\s|$))|\\s|$)", "ig");
1 Like

IMO: In my opinion. :slight_smile:

The code is available on GitHub ā€“ PRs are welcome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve added all the ones mentioned, apart from this one. I couldnā€™t remember ever having seen it before, and, indeed, it seems like youā€™re the only one using it. :slight_smile: If it becomes more widespread, maybe Iā€™ll include it then.

2 Likes

I assume you want to avoid ones like wtf and ffs, right? :wink:

2 Likes

Why the fuck would you want to avoid those? :wink:

4 Likes

Be careful when you make up new TLAs like this. Here in the UK an ā€œOHPā€ is an ā€œoverhead projectorā€ as any school kid from the 1970s\80s would tell you. :smiley:

Personally I have never heard of ā€œofficial homepageā€ used in that way.

2 Likes

TLA: Funnyt that there is a speciality about three letters acronym rather than two or four

I have seen OHP several times before using it myself because it was so convenient for MB edit notes.
It is not something I made up myself. :sweat_smile:

There I found it OHP!

official homepage, for å…¬å¼ć‚µć‚¤ćƒˆ

1 Like

I do have to say that TLA is my favourite acronym. It is exactly what it is - a TLA is a TLA.

But, of course, as you point out this is only for three letter acronyms. Obviously the others you bring up would be a TLA or a FLA. Clearly TLA(2) and TLA(3) could get confusingā€¦ Especially as both four and five letter versions would also be an FLA. :joy:

I like how your OHP link still points to the ancient projectorā€¦ Have you looked at the English Whakipedia pages? They donā€™t list Official Home Page.

I think it is time for some sneaky edits to add it to that English page. Well, you can clearly reference your usage of it in this forumā€¦ hahahaā€¦ weā€™ll bring a new TLA into the West :smiley:

4 Likes

I would dislike strongly any kind of Bowdlerisation on a MB forum :ā€‹(

Seriously, WTF? wtf is ā€œwhat the fuckā€ and ffs is ā€œfor fucks sakeā€
If I *wantedļ¹” to say something else Iā€™d say something else, for funkā€™s sake!! :ā€‹D

(also it bothers me that the ā€œtheā€ is capitalised in the hover message :DDD )

3 Likes

Maybe when you use them, thatā€™s what you mean. Some people find the word ā€œfuckā€ offensive, so Iā€™m not going to insert that word by default, even if Iā€™m not one of them (see also: Ā«Be mindful and respectful of different languages, habits and cultures.Ā»). If youā€™ve never encountered either of those acronyms before, the ā€œbowdlerisedā€ version being used here is enough to get their meaning across. If you insist on being vulgar and potentially disrespectful, you are free to spell it out yourself (or apply <abbr> yourselfā€”the script doesnā€™t override existing ABBR elements).

4 Likes

I tried once to install Discourse on my computers to test some code I wanted to submit but I was completely unable to install tools because of my versions of Windows, etc.
If I submit a PR, after having tested the regular expression itself against some examples, could you test in Discourse?

ok ftr, the bit about ā€œinserting that word by defaultā€ is ok and valid (imho why youā€™d even use wtf or ffs if you donā€™t actually mean that word is beyond me, but ĀÆ\(惄)/ĀÆ )
ditto ā€œbeing mindful of other peopleā€ thing. Iā€™d like to think that I am and I do no use swears very often.
However when you say ā€œIf you insist on being vulgar and potentially disrespectful,ā€ just because I will say ā€œfuckā€ if I Mean ā€œfuckā€ (and again, I will not use it often!) does not mean I am trying to be vulgar or disrespectful to other cultures! Please donā€™t suggest this of me? :crying_cat_face:
Anyway I suggest using ā€œFunkā€ instead of ā€œfrickā€ or ā€œfrakā€ (not words I like tbh.) as itā€™s Music Related (ā™«ā™Ŗā™¬) and not words I would mind having my own message turned into.

ok so abbr is like
wtf ?
yay!

to keep this post on topic, some more acronyms:
ML ā†’ Mailing list
SQL ā†’ Structured Query Language
idk ā†’ I donā€™t know
ftw ā†’ for the win
FML ā†’ (Funk?) My Life
irl ā†’ In Real Life
MBSSSSS ā†’ MusicBrainz simple Solr search server schema

*word*

4 Likes

Or better (?), because frick frack I really donā€™t know the meaning and also replacing with Funk does not explain the meaning either: WTF ā†’ Whatā€™s this nonsense and FFS ā†’ I beg you, please.

2 Likes

This plugin is such a blessing for me.
I can really not learn things like e.g. and i.e., even after years on internet, and now thanks to this plugin there is that tooltip!

Actually, @Freso, i.e. is missingā€¦ or is it e.i.?

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Meaning of and differences between ā€œe.g.ā€ and ā€œi.e.ā€