Abbreviations in community posts

How did you do that? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Magic. :mage: :wink:

7 Likes

Awesome. For abbreviations this clearly works better than unique tags.
In combination with the FoxReplace addon for firefox you can set this up to automatically happen for some common abbreviations like: AFAIK, FYI, TL;DR, etc

4 Likes

:grinning: that works fine

There is a third-party plug-in for Discourse to automate this for everyone:

@Freso: Would it be possible to have it installed?

(Official Discourse plug-in seems to be currently broken.)

7 Likes

What does AIUI mean?

1 Like

What has happened to mon Capitaine’s pursuit of mystery and romance?
Any answer I give, if truthful and at all transparent, will reduce the mystery and romance of my post.

Je refuse!

Your request can only be some sort of test of my commitment to our cause.

AIUI - Wiktionary, the free dictionary - as I understand it

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Meaning of TTFN / Ta Ta For Now

Hi @ClA_psHydra, can you still turn your first post into a wiki post, or had the time limit part already?

We could use that post to collaboratively add all acronyms in alphabetical order.

Oh thanks @Freso for the post/topic clean-up!

I’d prefer to use the actual wiki for this, rather than using community posts, or maybe using the plugin @yvanzo found (will look into it soon!).

“TTFN” (Ta ta for now) and “AIUI” are ‘standard’ internet abbreviations/acronyms and not really MB specific. For MusicBrainz specific things:
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/MusicBrainz_Slang
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Terminology

As said earlier in the topic, I’d be happy to discuss how to clean these up/organise them better/otherwise improve them.

3 Likes

What’s CAA? :confused:

1 Like

CAA = Cover Art Archive

4 Likes

In edit notes, where I do use lots of abbreviations, I put them between square brackets, so that they link to the wiki: [AC]AC.

3 Likes

I wasn’t very happy with the plugin @yvanzo found earlier, so I asked in the thread for the plugin that apparently doesn’t work anymore, and Sam Saffron replied there pointed to a “theme component” that might be easily portable to do essentially the same thing. So I ported it to do essentially the same thing, and this thread is a perfect example of how it works. :slight_smile:

You can see the code in action here:

Feel free to continue posting in here if you come across other abbreviations that you don’t understand!

4 Likes

Some more acronyms!
WP -> Wikipedia
(similarly WD for WikiData)
Op can also be “opus number” which is relevant to classical music.
AFAIK -> As Far As I Know
AR -> Advanced Relationship
rel -> relationships/Advanced Relationship
AFK -> Away from Keyboard
SAR -> Stand-alone recording
cat# -> Catalogue number
GSoC -> Google Summer of Code
GCI -> Google Code-In
:raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

And SAR (stand alone recording) is NGS (next generation schema) term for NAT (non album track) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Suggestions by @CatQuest and @jesus2099 have been added.

4 Likes

:memo: FTR: for the record

With punctuation it does not see the acronyms: CAA? is NG while CAA is OK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Progressively I recall some other abbreviations I may usually use (with [WikiLink] for documented MB terms) in my edit notes.

• COC: Code of conduct
  • ETI: Extra title information
  • JAN ≈ EAN ≈ bar code
  • MBID: MusicBrainz identifier
  • OHP: Official homepage (of an artist, label, etc.)
  • TOC: (CD) table of content — cf. DiscID?
1 Like