Abbreviations in community posts

IIUYC = If I Understand You Correctly

3 Likes

🤦
Maybe we should only explain MB related stuff and encourage people writing full words, somehow.

This one has only one occurrence.

5 Likes

WMP = Windows Media Player

2 Likes

MIA = Missing in action

1 Like

This.

. . . . . . . .

3 Likes

Apparently, two consecutive abbreviations are not working with the plugin.

odd are OK but even are NG: RG RG RG RG RG RG RG RG

Interesting… :thinking:

4 Likes

might be good to add this one~

4 Likes

There is another MB abbreviation, BDFL:

But it’s not that much used in the forums, so…

3 Likes

another one to add to the list?

1 Like

In MB context, this is not the English name for the Famicom TV game console (Nintendo entertainment system), no, this is the new edit system abandoned project.

3 Likes

for what it’s worth, it could be referring to the Nintendo Entertainment System, as video game music is within the scope of MusicBrainz. might do a double abbreviation for this one~

2 Likes

I don’t know if there’s any fixing this one, but the abbreviation detection seems to ignore non-basic-Latin characters, like ‘æ’

6 Likes

I think I have a fix for this in Fix non-latin characters being considered word-boundaries by phw · Pull Request #6 · metabrainz/discourse-abbrify-words · GitHub

@zas Is this something you can merge and update in Discourse?

Don’t know if it qualifies for a fancy mouse-over, but if anyone’s wondering:

OG = Original Gangster, usually used to refer to the original/first version of something

2 Likes

If you want that you may also want YG, Young Gangsta

I am very hip and street

another addition, SC for SoundCloud

might add BC for Bandcamp and AM for Apple Music while we’re here? (granted, those two also have alternate meanings, for years Before Christ and Amplitude Modulation for radio respectively)

2 Likes

SC can also stand for Sens Critique, a website whose users often cross-post releases to MB.

1 Like

LLM for Large Language Model because I know at least one person asked what it meant.

5 Likes

BGM is BackGround Music

3 Likes

I didn’t know that ofc means “of course”, thank you @chaban.
It is used from time to time, not a lot: 27 results in the forums.

2 Likes