Completely frozen on "Save"

Hello,
I am on the latest public release of Picard and I was using this software on my entire music library (99% MP3 files, ~3000 files total). Clustering, lookup, and Acoustic ID worked (slow but that is expected with all these files) but when I selected them all on the right side (CTRL + A, pressed Save) Picard completely froze which is NOT what a Starfleet captain should do in this situation. Using Windows 10 resource monitor it states that it is not responding, I can move the window but that’s it. It shows 0 CPU usage, 0 Disk (USB) usage, and 0 Network usage. I have left it for a few hours now with no luck. I have also tried to set the priority to “High” with no luck. I have also noticed that some of my songs are now missing, and nothing has changed (No file structure changes, etc). Is it safe to exit the program, or should I keep waiting? I would rather not wait for the lookup and acoustic ID to go for another whole day or lose my files. Opening the 2nd instance of Picard also immediately freezes the new window.

If you need any more info please let me know!

1 Like

Probably not what you want to hear, but I would start over and do it in smaller batches - shouldn’t take long at all in smaller amounts.

I thought a recent update had helped with the freezing/going v. slow on huge amounts of files but I guess not completely. That said 3,000 isn’t that many so I’m not sure what’s going on…

If this is your first time running Picard I would always test it/your settings on a copy of some of your files first. Overwriting metadata is permanent :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s Picard 2.4 which is still in beta, the OP is probably using 2.3.2?

1 Like

Yup! I didn’t see any forum notifications (email or whatever). But yes I am on 2.3.2. I ended up just closing down the frozen program (Which deleted a bunch of my music files), re-downloaded my songs and starting over again. My only problem now is the Pending Requests seems to be stuck at >9000. I can cluster, lookup and scan but there seems to be a backlog of things that need to be downloaded (I can’t look up and add an album for example). Will continue waiting to see if the pending requests finally goes down.

Check your email preferences, you only have live notifications enabled (but those might be blocked by browser or OS).

I have been seeing Picard freezing when saving. I have been updating my metadata (disabled any changes to cover art except a single embedded front image). I put 10-15 albums in at a time, after it loads, I refresh them all (for Classical Extras) and about 1/3 of the time it freezes. It was a problem on 2.4.2, so I upgraded to 2.4.4 with no change. I also switched from beta.musicbrainz.org to musicbrainz.org, and that didn’t make a difference either. I opened the log, set level to debug and watched it freeze once. There is nothing helpful that I could find in the log - everything was good and when I selected all the albums and hit save, nothing was added to the log. I’m still trying to isolate, but no luck so far.

There is rate limiting of one request to musicbrainz every second so requests will back up when you drop a lot of albums all in at once.

Using the classical extra plugin makes this worse as it sends more requests to the database for more information and it may process the response and make even more queries to the database.

If you use a lot of plugins it might be a good idea to do things in 2 passes.
The first pass you have no plugins installed, this is just to match the release and write musicbrainz id’s (release id, recording id, artist id) and any cover art.
When you load the same file again in picard it will look for the musicbrainz release id and load the album again.

2 Likes